sábado, 20 de julio de 2013

Goodby Helen Thomas / Adiós Helen Thomas



English:
For decades I have admired Helen Thomas, an incorruptible and profoundly democratic reporter –in the sense of being deeply attached to the democratic ideal.  I lament her death, but I celebrate what she achieved in her 92 years.
Once I copied a quote from Abraham Lincoln as a commentary to one of her on-line articles, and she wrote back to me at my email address saying that she couldn’t think of a better compliment.
The quote is:
"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."

 
Español
Por décadas he admirado a Helen Thomas, una reportera incorruptible y profundamente demócrata en el sentido de apegada a las normas de la democracia. Lamento mucho su muerte, pero celebro lo que ha logrado en sus 92 años.

Una vez le copié una cita a Abraham Lincoln y se la envié como un comentario a uno de sus artículo en el Internet, y me respondió a mi dirección de correo diciendo que no podría pensar en mejor elogio. Traducida la cita es:

"No estoy obligado a ganar, pero estoy obligado a ser verdadero. No estoy  precisado a obtener éxito, pero estoy precisado a vivir por la luz que tengo. Debo defender a quien defiende lo correcto, y resguardarlo mientras tenga razón, y apartarme de él cuando se equivoque." *
Este es un tributo a ella que escribí hoy:


No me gusta la ceguera
de las lealtades
ciegas.

Me gusta el dilema
la duda franca:
noema.

Me gustan más los grises
que lo absoluto:
matices.
*el inglés original de la cita a Lincoln:
"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."
 
Reference/Referencia
Photo of (Foto de) Helen Thomas: Talcual digital: http://www.talcualdigital.com/Nota/visor.aspx?id=89251&tipo=AVA

No hay comentarios:

 
Locations of visitors to this page